Application for Use of University Facilities by Non-University User

The Facility Use Application (“FUA”) is the first step to obtaining a Facility Use License (“FUL”). In order to use University facilities, an external user must have a signed FUL in place as prescribed by policy VIII-14.00(A)

The UMD sponsor (faculty member, administrator, or other affiliated person) is responsible for ensuring that this form is completed and that all required approvals and concerns that arise during the process are appropriately addressed.

Submission Process and Overview:






















Create/Initiate a new request for an FUA.
Please note: The UMD Sponsor and the external User must meet with Academic Affairs, Division of Research, Facilities Planning, and Environmental Safety, Sustainability, and Risk (ESSR) prior to initiating an FUA.

Quick Guide to Approving a Facilities Use Application

Review documents waiting for an action

View all FUA applications

Detailed Workflow Steps, Acknowledgements and Notifications



Links to these resources are also provided within the FUA.

Occupational Safety & Health Programs: OSHA has developed a Small Business Safety and Health Handbook. The OSHA self-inspection checklist can be used as a starting point to identify workplace hazards and many of the required components for implementing a health and safety program for your company. It is important to use the OSHA Handbook only as a general guide; local, state and university policies and procedures may take precedence. Discuss questions related to EHS programs with ESSR during the FUA process.

Space and Resources: Space requiring specialized equipment (e.g., specialized utility and Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, IT networking) should be reviewed by the College's Academic Facility Officer.

Export Control: If your project will be developing or working with technologies listed on the Commerce Control List of the Export Administration Regulations, 15 CFR Part 774 (i.e. military/commercial use technologies), or the US Munitions List of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations 22 CFR Parts 120-130 (i.e. military technologies), you need to contact the University's Export Control Office at
Office email:

Use of Hazards (Biohazards, Chemical Hazards, Radiation, Lasers and Regulated Waste): If your project includes the use and/or disposal of hazardous materials (flammable, toxic, corrosive, and reactive materials, radioactive materials and compressed gases), you just work with the appropriate office to address any concerns. Please note: Some types of materials are subject to significant regulation and restrictions including, but not limited to: DHS Chemicals of Interest, Select Agents, Biosafety Level 3 Agents, explosives, pyrophorics, cryogenics, fireworks, highly toxic gases, DEA controlled substances, elemental mercury, PCBs, and asbestos.) Biohazards, Chemical Hazards, Radiation and Laser Hazards

Use of Animals: An approved animal protocol will be required prior to initiating any research that uses animals from
General IACUC Office email:

Use of Human Subjects: An approved human subjects protocol will be required prior to initiating any research from
General IRB Office email:

Conflict of Interest: Applications will require certification regarding the University’s Conflict of Interest Policy for individuals as well as adherence to the University’s Institutional Conflict of Interest Policy.
General COI Office email: coi@umd.eduu

University Affiliates: If the occupance of the space requires access to university resources, the sponsor must request University Affiliate status for external users.


social iconstwitterlinkedinrssYouTube
Division of Research
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742-1541
© Copyright 2021 University of Maryland

Did You Know

With $1.1 billion in annual research expenditures, the University of Maryland research enterprise ranks 8th among all U.S. public institutions.