Grand Challenges Grants
The University of Maryland takes on humanity’s grand challenges, setting forth an ambitious agenda and vision to move our institution fearlessly forward in the pursuit of excellence and impact for the public good. Our university is a world-class institution with ideas, interests and capabilities that can profoundly impact and improve our communities and the world. This has been true throughout our history, and will continue into our future as a strategic commitment in Fearlessly Forward: the University of Maryland Strategic Plan.
The University of Maryland is pleased to announce the Grand Challenges Grants Program — the largest and most comprehensive program of its type ever introduced at our university. Up to $30 million dollars in institutional investments will be available to fund programs, initiatives and projects designed to impact enduring and emerging societal issues, such as climate change, social injustice, global health, education disparities, poverty, and threats to our democracy.
The Grand Challenges Grants Program has two distinct components:
- Grand Challenges Team and Individual Project Grants will provide funding for teams and individuals to engage in innovative and impactful research, scholarship, and creative activities designed to address grand challenges in service to humanity.
- Learn How to Apply for a Team or Individual Project Grant
(College Deadlines Vary, Click Here for More Information; The InfoReady Proposal Deadline has been extended to October 10, 2022)
- Grand Challenges Institutional Grants will provide funding to develop new institutional structures (interdisciplinary institute, major center, or school; or a new public-private partnership/consortia, etc.) that catalyze cross-disciplinary collaborations around a grand challenge focus or theme.
Learn More About Institutional Grants (LOI Deadline Has Passed: July 1, 2022)
Learn more about the Grand Challenges Grants Program below:
- Resources: Grand Challenges Grants Information Sessions, Workshops, and Customized Support
- Weekly Recurring Office Hours will be held virtually on Friday afternoons between 1:00-2:00 pm.
- Grand Challenges Kickoff Information Session from April 26:
- See Video Recording of Information Session on April 26 (Note: Requires UMD sign-in and authentication to view)
- View Presentation Slides from Information Session on April 26: Powerpoint Format | PDF Format
- The Kickoff Accelerator Workshops:
- Kickoff Accelerator Workshops were offered on May 13, May 23, and June 7.
- Workshop materials can be accessed at: https://go.umd.edu/GCAccelKickoff
- Timeline: Grand Challenges Grants Timeline and Key Dates
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): This page includes answers to selected frequently asked questions. These answers are not intended to replace or substitute for the information that appears in the Grand Challenges Grants Program RFPs. Please be sure to read the RFP for the Institutional Grants and the RFP for the Team and Individual Project Grants first before reading the FAQs.
We are very excited to partner with units across campus and can’t wait to see how the proposals generated through this program move our campus, state, nation and world fearlessly forward.
Jennifer King Rice
Senior Vice President and Provost
Gregory F. Ball
Vice President for Research