Maryland Research Excellence Celebration
The Maryland Research Excellence Celebration (MREC) is an annual, signature event co-hosted by the Office of the Vice President for Research in collaboration with the Office of the Senior Vice President and Provost to honor the distinct and notable accomplishments of University of Maryland researchers. The event offers the opportunity to recognize and celebrate the high-impact outcomes of the University of Maryland's research and scholarship community.
Up to 15 honorees are nominated by the dean of each college or school for demonstrably elevating the visibility and reputation of the University of Maryland Research Enterprise by meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Developing research findings that are both highly-cited and transformative to their field
- Obtaining research achievements with demonstrable societal impact, such as change in police or major external press coverage
- Achieving recognition by a national or international group
- Publishing in a renowned scholarly journal or publication in their field
- Selection for award via a funding competition with limited submissions
- Selection for a Division of Research New Directions Award
- Receiving significant external research funding from a federal funding agency, foundation, corporation, nonprofit, national laboratory, medical center, or other entity
In addition, one faculty member from each school or college is selected for special recognition as having best exemplified research excellence.
Distinguished University Professors are also recognized at the event.
Visit the links below to view a list of previous honorees and photos from past Maryland Research Excellence Celebration events.