- UMD Joins NSF-Funded Revolutionary $25M Center for Optoelectronic, Quantum Technologies
- IonQ, UMD to Establish First-of-its-Kind Facility to Provide Quantum Computing Access
- UMD Leads New $25M NSF Quantum Leap Challenge Institute for Robust Quantum Simulation
- EY Named Founding Member of the University of Maryland Quantum Startup Foundry
The University of Maryland is an established powerhouse of quantum discovery and innovation. With over 200 researchers on campus, partnerships with government laboratories, strong connections with industry and an international research network, UMD and its partners are leading the United States and global community into a quantum future.
Jump-started more than 15 years ago by a research partnership with the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), scientists at UMD have advanced the frontiers of the quantum realm, which exists at nature’s tiniest scale. Here, in this almost invisible arena, particles like atoms, electrons and photons behave in surprising ways that have captured the imagination of scientists worldwide.
Today, the field of quantum research has reached an inflection point and is moving beyond laboratory physics. Scientists are now putting exotic quantum physics to work, overcoming crucial societal challenges. UMD is at the forefront of this pivotal transition, and its quantum programs have expanded to include computer science, engineering and materials science- sparking synergy to fulfill the promise of quantum technology.
Partnerships are vital to maintaining UMD’s renowned programs and its leadership in this fast-changing field. Built on a foundation of success, UMD has formed the Maryland Quantum Alliance, a regional consortium of scientists across academia, national laboratories and industry. Together, this consortium will continue to lead the quantum revolution.
UMD Select Capabilities:
- Joint Quantum Institute (JQI)
- The Joint Center for Quantum Information and Computer Science (QuICS)
- Quantum Technology Center (QTC)
- Maryland Quantum Alliance (MQA)
- Regional Quantum Research Body Adds Industry, Government, Higher Ed Partners
- UMD to Lead $1M NSF Project to Develop a Quantum Network to Interconnect Quantum Computers
- Naval Research Laboratory and UMD's QTC Announce New Partnership to Spur Quantum Innovation
- New $115 Million Quantum Systems Accelerator to Pioneer Quantum Technologies for Discovery Science
- Quantum Simulation Stars Light in the Role of Sound
- University of Maryland Convenes Alliance to Accelerate Quantum ‘Ecosystem’
- University of Maryland Launches Quantum Technology Center
- Perfect Quantum Portal Emerges at Exotic Interface
- Partnering for Quantum Leaps
- UMD Researchers Awarded $1 Million Grant from NSF to Develop New Methods to Generate Single Photons for Quantum Research
- UMD-Led Quantum Light Research Enables Sources of Nearly Identical Photons