The University of Maryland (UMD) and its faculty scholars were recognized among Research.com's 2022 rankings of Top Scientists and Top Universities. Over 400 UMD-affiliated researchers were included among the Top Scientists in the nation and the world across Research.com’s 24 academic discipline categories, and UMD was listed among the Top Universities in the U.S. and globally in every category.
UMD received particularly high rankings in the following categories:
- Business & Management (#13 worldwide, #10 in the U.S.; 11 scholars cited)
- Computer Science (#12 worldwide, #10 in the U.S.; 53 scholars cited)
- Economics & Finance (#17 worldwide, #15 in the U.S.; 19 scholars cited)
- Engineering & Technology (#33 worldwide, #16 in the U.S.; 30 scholars cited)
- Environmental Sciences (#4 worldwide, #4 in the U.S.; 58 scholars cited)
- Law & Political Science (#23 worldwide, #19 in the U.S.; 13 scholars cited)
- Mathematics (#24 worldwide, #18 in the U.S.; 13 scholars cited)
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (#13 worldwide, #11 in the U.S.; 13 scholars cited)
- Social Science & Humanities (#34 worldwide, #22 in the U.S.; 32 scholars cited)
Launched in 2014, Research.com’s Top Scientists and Top Universities rankings feature leading scholars from over 3,000 universities and research agencies. The inclusion criteria for scholars to be considered in the rankings are based upon the discipline h-index, an author-level metric that measures both the productivity and citation impact of publications, proportion of the contributions made within the given discipline, in addition to the awards and achievements of the scientists. The discipline h-index is used to rank scholars who have a current or previous affiliation with each institution (including researchers who are no longer active, such as emeriti faculty, etc.) in descending order combined with the total number of citations. The h-index and citation data for Research.com’s rankings are obtained from Microsoft Academics, the largest open bibliometric database. For Research.com’s Top Universities, the ranking is based on the sum of discipline h-index for all top and leading scholars within a given institution, the number of documents published by leading scientists and deemed to be pertinent to the academic discipline, and the sum of citations for all top scholars within a particular research institution. The rankings are intended to capture impact in particular fields. The same ranking methodology applies to all universities and research institutions analyzed. More information about Research.com’s ranking methodology can be found here.
Research.com produces Top Scientists and Top Universities rankings across the following academic discipline categories: Animal Science and Veterinary, Biology and Biochemistry, Business Management, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Ecology and Evolution, Economics and Finance, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Engineering and Technology, Environmental Sciences, Genetics and Molecular Biology, Immunology, Law and Political Science, Materials Science, Mathematics, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Medicine, Microbiology, Neuroscience, Physics, Plant Science and Agronomy, Psychology, and Social Sciences and Humanities.
To view the complete rankings, visit Research.com.