Skip to main content

Application for Use of University Facilities by Non-University User

The Facility Use Application (“FUA”) is the first step to obtaining a Facility Use License (“FUL”). In order to use University facilities, an external user must have a signed FUL in place as prescribed by policy VIII-14.00(A).

The UMD sponsor (faculty member, administrator, or other affiliated person) is responsible for ensuring that this form is completed and that all required approvals and concerns that arise during the process are appropriately addressed.

Submission Process and Overview:

External user

  • Identifies and meets with faculty and sponsor.


  • Ensures space requested by the External User is appropriate for the proposed use.
  • Confirms with their college administration and that they may begin the application process

Sponsor and External User

  • Contact the Division of Research, who will facilitate meetings with necessary stakeholders.


  • Ensures that the application is completed and that all information is accurate and includes all pertinent details.
  • Attaches a formal written endorsement and assurance that the space is available and sufficient to accommodate activities.
  • Reviews and submits the form for review and approval.

Senior Leadership

  • Routing for review and approval
    • Dean
    • VPR
    • VPAF
    • Provost (final approval)


  • FUA enters the Facilities Use License stage

Create/Initiate a new request for an FUA.

Please note: The UMD Sponsor and the external User must meet with Academic Affairs, Division of Research, Facilities Planning, and Environmental Safety, Sustainability, and Risk (ESSR) prior to initiating an FUA.

Quick Guide (PDF) to Approving a Facilities Use Application

Review documents waiting for an action.

View all FUA applications.

Detailed Workflow Steps, Acknowledgements and Notifications (PPTX)

Useful Resources for Completing the FUA

Links to these resources are also provided within the FUA.

Occupational Safety & Health Programs: OSHA has developed a Small Business Safety and Health Handbook. The OSHA self-inspection checklist can be used as a starting point to identify workplace hazards and many of the required components for implementing a health and safety program for your company. It is important to use the OSHA Handbook only as a general guide; local, state and university policies and procedures may take precedence. Discuss questions related to EHS programs with ESSR during the FUA process.

Space and Resources: Space requiring specialized equipment (e.g., specialized utility and Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, IT networking) should be reviewed by the College's Academic Facility Officer.

Export Control: If your project will be developing or working with technologies listed on the Commerce Control List of the Export Administration Regulations, 15 CFR Part 774 (i.e. military/commercial use technologies), or the US Munitions List of the International Traffic in Arms Regulations 22 CFR Parts 120-130 (i.e. military technologies), you need to contact the University's Export Control Office or Office email.

Use of Hazards (Biohazards, Chemical Hazards, Radiation, Lasers and Regulated Waste): If your project includes the use and/or disposal of hazardous materials (flammable, toxic, corrosive, and reactive materials, radioactive materials and compressed gases), you just work with the appropriate office to address any concerns. Please note: Some types of materials are subject to significant regulation and restrictions including, but not limited to: DHS Chemicals of Interest, Select Agents, Biosafety Level 3 Agents, explosives, pyrophorics, cryogenics, fireworks, highly toxic gases, DEA controlled substances, elemental mercury, PCBs, and asbestos.) BiohazardsChemical HazardsRadiation and Laser Hazards

Use of Animals: An approved animal protocol will be required prior to initiating any research that uses animals from General IACUC Office.

Use of Human Subjects: An approved human subjects protocol will be required prior to initiating any research from General IRB Office.

Conflict of Interest: Applications will require certification regarding the University’s Conflict of Interest Policy for individuals as well as adherence to the University’s Institutional Conflict of Interest Policy. General COI Office email

University Affiliates: If the occupance of the space requires access to university resources, the sponsor must request University Affiliate status for external users.

Back to Top