Located just outside of Washington, D.C., MI2 at the University of Maryland is ideally located near a wealth of business, intellectual, and cultural resources to enhance the working experience and quality of life.
About the Washington, D.C., Metropolitan Area:
- 4th largest U.S. metro population (more than 6 million)
- 19.6% economic growth (inflation-adjusted) in the past five years
- 1st in the nation in employment growth over the last 20 years
- 700 internationally owned companies have made their home in D.C.
- 9 consecutive years: largest number of Inc. 500 companies
- 3 airports with 34 direct international destinations serve the region with more than 1,085 daily non-stop flights to 95 domestic and international locations
- Home to the world’s largest museum complex, the Smithsonian Institution, whose extensive facilities are all free of charge
The University of Maryland is the state's flagship university and one of the nation's preeminent public research universities. A global leader in research, entrepreneurship and innovation, the university is home to more than 38,000 students, 9,000 faculty and staff, and 250 academic programs. Its faculty includes four Nobel laureates, three Pulitzer Prize winners, 47 members of the national academies and scores of Fulbright scholars. The institution has a $1.8 billion operating budget, secures $500 million annually in external research funding, and recently completed a $1 billion fundraising campaign. The University of Maryland Strategic Partnership Act of 2016 (SB 1052) strengthened and formalized the structured relationship between the University of Maryland, College Park and the University of Maryland, Baltimore, which began in 2012.