The University of Maryland has emerged as a leader in autonomous systems, unmanned vehicles, and robotics. From unmanned air vehicles to underwater and terrestrial autonomous robots, researchers at UMD are leading the way in this groundbreaking field, with potential applications related to disaster resilience, weather monitoring, agriculture, security, search and rescue, product delivery, and efficient transportation.
The UMD Unmanned Aircraft Systems Test Site in Southern Maryland was established with the help of partnerships with Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR), industry, academia and government agencies. Maryland's engagement in the Mid-Atlantic Aviation Partnership with Virginia and New Jersey under the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft Systems Test Site program allows UMD to stand ready to assist the FAA with integrating UAS into the National Airspace System (NAS).
UMD Select Capabilities:
- University of Maryland Unmanned Aircraft Systems Test Site
- Maryland Robotics Center
- Brin Family Aerial Robotics Lab
- Fearless Flight Facility (F3)
- Robotics Manipulator Lab
- Robotics Realization Laboratory
- Advanced Robotics Development Laboratory
- Autonomy Robotics Cognition Lab
- Collaborative Controls and Robotics Laboratory
- CPS & Cooperative Autonomy Laboratory
- Semi-Autonomous Systems Laboratory