The Bioprocess Scale-Up Facility (BSF) is the Biotechnology Research and Education Program's modern bioprocessing laboratory dedicated to the development and scale-up of biotechnology products and processes. With over 1000 fermentations conducted since 1998 alone, the BSF has accelerated the R&D of local biotechnology leaders such as Human Genome Sciences, NIH and MedImmune, as well as growing Maryland start-ups such as Martek Biosciences and Digene Corporation.
Hours of Operation
Generally 9-5 (hours vary depending on projects)
Services and Technologies Offered
The BSF's capabilities include:
- Cell culture
- Stem cell growth
- Product analysis
- Challenging problems such as biopolymers, turbulence and multiphase fluid dynamics, biosensors, process analysis and control, and both metabolic and biochemical engineering.
- Bioreactors from 2 to 250 Liters
- Process centrifuges (fixed angle and continuous)
- Cell disruption, Microfluidizer
- Tangential flow filtration (UF/DF)
- Freeze drying
Pricing varies by project size and duration. Please contact for more information.